Thursday, August 25, 2016

Hobbies

It has been said that you should find three hobbies you love: 

One to make you money
One to keep you in shape
One to be creative. 

I have tried for years to figure out what that saying meant. Because honestly, I didn't have any hobbies. None. There were a few things (as in, I can count them on two fingers) that I occasionally enjoyed, but really, I never had time for any of them. My life was spent running from one thing to another, rarely slowing down long enough to enjoy the moment anywhere I was. I had no time for anything extra. 

BUT, I can't even begin to tell you how much time I have "found" since being purposeful in slowing down my life! I have started doing some things I never had time to do, and a few things I never realized I even liked! It has been amazing! The hardest thing is just deciding which of the new hobbies I want to do each night! I've pretty much hopped from one thing to another, but it has been fun. And relaxing. And peaceful. And OH MY WORD, I LIKE THINGS! Who knew?!

One to be creative:


I have picked up painting... just for fun! I have painted a few props (OK, several props) for my children's ministry rooms in the past, but I've never taken time to just paint something for the sheer pleasure of it. A few weeks ago, on a lazy Sunday afternoon, I decided to paint this door sign. It took me HOURS! I had glued the pallet wood together the day before, and I painted the red before church. So by that afternoon, all I had to do was pick a font and the extra decor and then paint it. I have begun to really love fleur-de-lis! They are resembling of an iris, which I think are beautiful! So this lovely sign is now hanging on my front door to greet anyone who happens to drop by. 


I have started cooking again!! And I absolutely love it! I have spent countless hours in my kitchen with a glass of wine and some classical music playing, and just cooking up something delicious to feed my family's hungry tummies. It is beyond satisfying to see their eyes light up when they see what I've put in front of them, and to hear them say how much they love it. These lovelies, my friends, are what you call "cat head" biscuits. That means I made them super big, because that way you don't need to go back for a second biscuit. 


And I learned to crochet! Oh my word, I really, really like it! I have said for years as I watched my oldest crochet, "I have no time or patience to sit and do that." But a few days ago, I took my girl to town, bought some yarn, and asked her to show me how to make the stitches. I wanted to start with something relatively easy, so she showed me a granny square and how to make it into a blanket. My sweet girl asked if she could have my blanket for her baby. She hasn't stopped carrying it around since I gave it to her. 




One to keep you in shape:


I have taken up gardening again! Granted, it's not nearly as big and spectacular as my 7 16ft raised beds I once had. It's just a small 5X8 cinderblock bed with a few okra, tomatoes, pumpkins, bell peppers, and lettuces. And I have a small raised bed with some lavender and rosemary and mint. But it is perfect. And digging around in that dirt is super helping to keep me in shape. And I love playing in the dirt! 


One to make you money:


I am hosting a bread making workshop OH MY WORD! Baking bread is one of my favorite things in the whole world, and one of the few things I am really good at! So I decided to share that love with other ladies who wanted to learn how to bake bread. My first workshop booked up in TWO DAYS! So I decided to offer another workshop for the other ladies who didn't get in to the first. HOW EXCITING! It's coming up in a few weeks, and I can't wait! 

(P.S. If you want in on the second workshop on October 15, 2016, leave me a comment below or shoot me a message. It's going to fill up quickly!)


AND... (drum roll, please...) I AM GETTING CHICKENS!! WOOHOO!! I am BEYOND EXCITED about that fact, and I absolutely cannot wait to get them here! I am holding off ordering until Mr. Right is able to finish my coop. But as soon as I get the go-ahead, they will be on their way to me! And that will be a whole 'nother blog post, as I will swamp you with tons of pics of their fluffy selves! 

I also planted a vineyard! (OK, 2 muscadine vines, but IT'S A VINEYARD, PEOPLE!) And I am thinking about getting a few ducks, honeybees, and, if I can talk Mr. Right into it, a milk goat! I am officially calling my little slice of heaven a homestead! We are calling it A&E Farms. This 3 acres of land makes me happy. 

I can't even believe I have gone this long in life without some fun hobbies - things that just make me happy. And I have quite a few other ideas floating around in my head that I plan to try soon. I am going to have a plethora of hobbies! I seriously do not ever plan to go back to a life without all of this! 

Do you have something that makes you super happy? Something you just love to do in your down time? I'd love to hear about your hobbies! 



No comments:

Post a Comment